City of Seattle Internships
City of Seattle employees make our community a better place every day - whether its ensuring public health and safety; providing clean drinking water and environmentally responsible electricity services; connecting people, places, and products via a high-quality transportation system; creating welcoming and safe places to play and build community; or acting upon opportunities to meet the challenges of a growing and vibrant city. To help us accomplish these meaningful bodies of work, the City is looking to fill multiple internship positions with motivated students who have a passion for learning and public service!
Educational Benefit to the Student:
- develop skills through a variety of meaningful projects
- put your education into practice and share new ideas
- participate in job-specific and/or professional training opportunities
- network with city professionals and leaders
- work in a team environment
- gain experience problem solving, communicating, and managing projects with varying priorities
Join our team and discover what it means to work for an organization that supports you in your educational success!
Minimum qualifications vary based on the type of internship:
Desired qualifications will vary by internship position.
- Undergraduate students must have and maintain a minimum 2.0
- GPA Graduate students must have and maintain a 3.0 GPA
- Engineering and Accounting students must have a 2.5 GPA
Hours: College interns may work up to 20 hours/week during the academic year and up to 40 hours/week during summer and winter break. With supervisor approval, hours can be flexible to accommodate an intern's class schedule and are typically scheduled between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday. Some internships may require working on weekends and/or nights.
Start Date and Duration: Most of these internships will start in September/October 2019.
Internship duration can vary from one to four or more quarters.
Salary: All posted City of Seattle internships are paid and the wage will depend on the type of internship and academic level of the student. The current hourly wage is set at $18.36 for undergraduate students and $22.50 for graduate students. Engineering interns are paid between $22.25 to $25.05, depending on class standing. Accounting interns are paid between $23.83 to $24.60, depending on class standing.
How to apply: In addition to your complete online application, please attach:
- Your unofficial transcript - including current coursework, next term registration and cumulative GPA
- Your resume
- Cover letter explaining how your coursework and life experience qualify you for the internship
- Any other information as specified in the job posting.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Job offers are contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by the employment process including the completion of a background check which includes criminal history review.
The City has the expectation that interns will be readily available to report to onsite work in Seattle when operational needs require.
To see a full list of City of Seattle internship opportunities, please visit: www.seattle.gov/jobs/internships.asp
Want to know more about the City of Seattle? Check out our web page: http://www.seattle.gov
For more information please email our Jobs Information Center at email@example.com